The volume was migrated using storage vmotion correctly, or so I thought. I went to reboot the server after the move to test, and about 10 seconds of getting into the desktop, Windows 2008 BSOD’s with a error message “A device attached to the system is not functioning properly”. so, I boot off the second plex of the mirror. Same thing happens. Now, this has me concerned. Typically booting the second plex gets things going. This was more fundamental.
I booted into Directory Services Recovery Mode, and hunted through log files and event logs. I carefully removed each error as it came up, and I decided to sleep on it and just rebuild the disk plex — just to be safe. What concerned me was it would boot into DSRM, but not into Safe mode. Definately something was up!
Rebooting in the morning with a new plex did not fix it. At this point, I started going through some MS material, and noticed that even in DSRM, Active Directory should start. In looking through AD’s event log, it had the error, “The log file is corrupt” and would not start AD. I’ve seen this before on Exchange, so, I tried to repair the AD logs.
Once I removed the corrupted log files, and rebooted, the system came up, and is working properly. How a volmgr error and AD are related, I’m not sure. Sometimes it helps to sleep on it.